Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Day in the Life of Me

So I have been in Bangladesh for two and a half weeks so let me tell you what a typical day is like for me.
First I get up around 6 and while the temp is cool at a mere 26-30 I go for a walk around the park. 5 laps does it for me and then I resemble someone who has just stepped out of a shower due to the amount of sweat I have produced. Who's idea was it to arrive in the middle of summer anyway?
So I get back to the apartment shower (cold of course) and have breakfast
Then I revise the fascinating language that is Bungla hoping that I can remember the words I was taught yesterday before my lesson in the afternoon.
Around 10 I venture outside by now the temp is somewhere above 30 after 30 I don't want to know how hot is actually gets.
I find my self a rickshaw and head off to "town". Today I had two rickshaw wallas fighting over me a young boy and an old man. I choose the old man cause I felt sorry for him. As we are headed in the direction of town I wish I was a little lighter so he didn't have to work so hard.
But before I could dwell on it much longer my nose was telling me we were arriving at what I call sewage corner. As soon as you come round the corner the waft is overwhelming fortunately my nursing holds me in good stead. I hold my knees up close to my chest as we drive through the large puddle of sewage. Delightful.
Now I have arrived at my local shopping area (Gulshan 2) I go in search of what I have come for Post-it notes for my language learning and coloured pencils for the same reason
Now I wonder how you say Post it notes in Bungla. I go into the first stationery shop and ask for post it notes and he looks as if I have grown a second head so I take that as a no.
Fortunately in this area there are hundreds of stationary shops. After I hit my 5th shop I found them (Post it notes not coloured just yellow but they will have to do) and would you believe cm's away a pack of coloured pencils. Yusss it's only taken me an hour and a half but I found them :)
So I am back home now after my excursion. I will go out again in a little while I think I need some scissors Should be fun

3 comments:

  1. hey - thanks for all the ways you're letting us know what your new life is like - making it so real we can almost smell sewage corner - almost made me glad to be at home writing a Humanity and Hope essay...almost = P.
    Looking forward to hearing about the great scissor hunt.
    Can you teach us a few words in Bangla?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there this is Ted (Tere) I am using Zaidyns blog to read your page and comment lol so I will add you as a follower to him. He hasn't blogged for awhile but you might like to look at his blog when you have a chance. I will enjoy reading what you are up to. I laughed about the post it notes. You could always get some friends to send you some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sis, sounds awesome, can't wait to visit you some time soon. Let us know if you want us to send you anything because you never know when a special package will arrive for you.

    ReplyDelete