Sunday, June 12, 2011

Love Hurts

As I sit here and think about what to write on my blog and share with you all, I start to struggle. It has been an interesting last few weeks. A rollercoaster of highs and lows and I feel like I am just hanging on for the ride.

I have been hanging out lots with the ladies that work at our business. Visiting with them after work hours getting to know these ladies as friends rather than just woman I work with. I have the advantage of having a bit of language so have found myself in some wonderful conversations about life, love, God and everything in between. I find myself loving the women of this community in a way I don’t think I have ever experienced before. When you find yourself loving on such women your heart begins to ache at the hurt that has happened and the hurt that continues as a result of the life of abuse these women have suffered.

Mother Theresa says it well “True love is love that causes us pain, that hurts, and yet brings us joy. We must pray to God and ask Him to give us the courage to love."

I have started doing health checks on all of the staff at our business. Just basic sorts of questions assessing their general health and well being. It has been a little bit of an eye opener for me as to how much of an impact their past is having on their health today. All most every woman has something wrong with her. Ranging from anaemia to HIV.

When these woman are no longer just patients to me, but friends, woman that I love, I cannot help but have my heart broken over the struggles and hardships they face. That is what the last few weeks have been like. Building these wonderful friendships and then having a broken heart about the circumstances they are in, usually through no fault of their own.

But although my heart breaks, there are moments of joy and happiness too. After a particularly depressing day of bad health reports, a lady excitedly comes up to me saying I think I am pregnant where can I go to get a test. Her eyes were shinning with joy, and it warmed my heart to see such delight in a new life.

I am also excited about the future and getting to a point where we can start to make inroads on some of the more basic health issues, through education and understanding. I am also excited to continue building relationships and love on these women even if it hurts.

Luv you all

Pip

No comments:

Post a Comment