Friday, June 4, 2010

Chadpur and other thoughts

So I got the chance to go to Chadpur last weekend. I went by boat it is 4hours there and 4 hours back. I travelled on my own which was super entertaining and fun. The trip started with a CNG ride (a CNG is like a motorised scooter thing that has a cage to protect you while you dart through traffic) it can take anywhere from 1 -2 hours to get to the ferry landing from where I am staying and I left an hour and a half before the boat was due to go. Not so bad except that about 30mins into the trip my CNG broke down. He told me sorry no problem 1 minute, HAHAHA unlikely I thought. However I gave him the benefit of the doubt and 1 minute later he had found a "mechanic" and they were working on the CNG. 20mins later we were on our way. In the mean time I was thinking I am going to miss the boat. Anyway I got there as the boat was pulling its horn ready to depart brought my ticket, made it through the rugby scrum and on to the boat just in time. PERFECT. The time in Chadpur was great, I was on my own so had no choice but to speak Bungla which was hard work but fun for me and the locals :) The trip back was not nearly so exciting as I was delivered to the ferry terminal by motorbike. However the motorbike trip was a little awkward side saddle with two hands on my back trying to balance. No helmet of course.
I have also had my first Bungla exam which I am happy to say I passed with no problems.
Generally life has been great here, it good to be back overseas but hard as well. I have seen friends come and go and there is more of that to come. The rains are coming more often now and I think the monsoons are coming. Will keep blogging and sharing my life here with all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading here...always nice to know who's lurking on yr blog I reckon :) Lovely to hear your stories. Erin

    ReplyDelete