Friday, June 18, 2010

Hard Times Fun Times

So the last few weeks have been hard at times but on the whole fantastic.
I am still tracking along with my Bungla studies which at times can be hilarious. The other people in my class do not have English as their first language so we often have to act things out so that they understand. A couple of days ago we were reading a piece of text that had an interaction between a doctor and a patient. Our teacher spent about 15mins trying to explain what diarrhea was. By the end we had pictures and everything. Hilarious.
I am still looking at new ways I can practice my language outside of class time, and found children to be most helpful. They are naturally inquisitive so ask a million questions. One of the helpers at the place I am staying have two children and I love to chat with them. They laugh when I make mistakes but are the most patient teachers.
Through this same worker I have met people from the area she lives in. Most are poor and can not afford quality health care. She takes me to see people she knows are sick for me to help.
One lady I saw last week was 15 weeks pregnant she had classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. The week before I saw her she had been to the doctor handed over the little money they had only to come back with a set of results she didn't understand and a large supply of medicines she didn't need. The one medicine she did need (an antibiotic for the urinary infection) was not in the stack of medicines, despite test results saying she had a urinary tract infection.
As a nurse this stuff is really hard to see all of that money wasted when she and her family have precious little to spare. I am thankful for the experience I have had and a skill so that I could practically help this person and others. I am humbled to involved in what God is doing in this community.
The crazy occurrences of life here still happen but it now doesn't feel crazy it just feels normal.
I head to Kolcutta in a few days to reconnect with the team there. It will be the first time since I made the decision to make Kolcutta my home that I would have been back. Almost two years ago. But first I have a Bungla exam to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment