Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Kolkata Visit

A few days ago, I got the chance to visit Kolkata reconnect with the team there, just chat and hangout with the women. It has to go down as one of my best weeks since I left New Zealand. As soon as I arrived, it felt like I had come home. The hard part was that this was only a short trip and I still have at least 10 months before I am back for good.
I spent my days up in finishing with the women, trimming the threads off and checking the bags before they were packed up ready to be sent. From the moment I arrived the girls addresses me as either didi (which means Aunty) or in the intimate pronoun form. I spoke with the girls laughed with the girls even got told off for distracting the girls. “didi ekhon kaj korechi. Jokhon Cha khabo tokon bungla bolbo” Now is work time at cha time you can speak Bungla. I also gave some advice here and there for the girls who were sick or had hurt themselves as well as other foreigners who were sick.
The time spent here has been such a blessing. It has been difficult living and learning in a country that is not my old home or my new home. It has been a bit of a time of limbo. I know that Dhaka is the best thing for right now to get myself ready for Kolkata however it is nice to have a glance at what is to come. I am excited about what is in store.
I have been challenged by God in new ways and those thoughts will come in the next blog once they have been processed a little more. Hope that life is going well for all of you who read my updates and that you will continue to journey with me as I live life here in Dhaka and then Kolkata.

No comments:

Post a Comment