Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Justice and Forgiveness

In my last blog post I wrote about how I have been challenged during my time in Kolkata. Seeing girls who had been sold and subsequently trapped in the sex trade brought to the surface feelings of compassion and love as well as intense anger at those responsible for the selling and abuse of these girls. I felt deep love and compassion for the women who are trapped in these situations and deep anger at those responsible.
God has been challenging me on my anger and sense of injustice. It is easy for me to judge these people for their actions however God has challenged me to love them as well. They are entitled to God’s grace just as much as I am. God’s grace is sufficient to cover all sins. This has been quite hard for me to work through. I feel like there should be some justice, why can’t God get His thunderbolt and aim it in their direction? When it comes to me though do I want my sins judged as harshly? No
My thoughts and actions show that I think I have more entitlement to God’s grace, love and mercy than others. This is obviously not correct but my thoughts prove that deep down this is what I believe. I think of the story of prodigal son told in Luke. I am like the older brother, instead rejoicing at the return of the younger brother I sit and sulk in a corner at the injustice of it all.
This has really challenged me and made me re-examine my motivation. If I am doing this work purely to bring glory to the Father, then I will love all unconditionally. However if I do not love all and harbour resentment and anger then my motivation is myself and my feelings. Wow, hard stuff.
I am grateful for the refining that God is doing in my life as I walk this journey with Him.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pip,
    I'm really enjoying yr blog. I'm often angry about injustice and I think it's a good thing. I think it might just be possible to rage against the injustice and have a compassionate heart toward the victims AND the perpetrators at the same time. We can direct our anger at what is wrong in the situation without having hatred toward the people. I posted a quote on my blog today that you might relate to. (Erin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes enjoyed your blog Erin
    It is hard to find the balance between love grace forgiveness and then justice and a "holy rage"
    Something to continually ponder and wrestle with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really reminded me my life when I was in Ethiopia full time working with vulnerable Kids, and women. While it is good to stop and reflect on your life, but it a thin line of wisdom and feeling frustrated at your self.
    I remember that feeling! God bless you and show you the wisdom of life in all the poor people you see.

    From their different sets of priority, Like family, community, and total dependence on God.

    As i was walking to Bole/Addis i saw an old woman who stuck in my mind still today. Her gray hair dominated her hair, if she dressed nice she look majestic, but poverty bended her so low, As she was standing on hear feet her forehead was on the floor. (i have no way to describe the was she was ding that, that takes a lot of exercise to do that for even a yoga person) people drop coins as they pass by.
    I heard the tap of the spirit in my heart, "look....look, how Poverty brought extraordinary humility in this lady?"

    It like jesus who saw the old lady offering her only coin she has. That's a kind of humility i want to have before the Lord, and the poor always reminds me that.

    In Ethiopia Jesus is seen as God more than his human side, in the west, Jesus is more seen as a friend than God. There should be a balance!

    We call Him, Our father! because that's what a bible teaches us. But the meaning of father in early Hebrew culture and in our culture is different.
    Father in the old times are known by their authority to bless and to curse, father is related with more reverence than in our century.

    i said too much, it is your fault Pip, your blog is inspiring... You got me thinking

    keep learning from the poor, they are unrecognized professors

    God bless

    Befkadu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, some challenging thoughts here Pip. With injustice all around us, on some level this applies to each one of us and is extremely relevant to think on. Again...because we can't help our feelings, this is another occasion where we need the Holy Spirit to intercede for us. It's a lot to get my head around.

    Ange
    http://quirkyisokay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete